THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MINISTRY
“God has given me the responsibility of serving his church by proclaiming his entire message to you.”
– Colossians 1:25 (NLT)
“But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions…make full proof of thy ministry.”
– 2 Timothy 4:
“And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it.”
– Colossians 4:17
So, Ministry is received! It’s not a vocation or profession that one chooses or decides to pursue.
It is God that chooses , calls, and puts men into the Ministry, for the purpose of the preaching of “the gospel of Christ”.
We read of Paul in Romans 1:1,
“Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord…”
* Ministry is not business!
Ministry is not entertainment!
Ministry is not building and projects!
* Ministry is what Jesus commanded in Mark 16: 15-16:
“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
Also in Matthew 28:19
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations…”
There is no other Ministry but the Ministry of Jesus – as exemplified by his earthly Ministry (as recorded in the four Gospels), and that of the Apostles (as recorded in Acts Of the Apostles).
That is, the Ministry of preaching and showing the good tidings of salvation, deliverance from sin and satan, joy, peace, abundant life, health and wealth on the platform of “grace and truth” and faith – not on the platform of human efforts, works or self righteousness.
* Ministry is not methods!
Ministry is not title!
Ministry is not gimmicks!
* Ministry is wisdom. That is, the wisdom of “the foolishness of preaching”-1Corinthians 1:21
* Ministry is operating at the higher realms of life, not at the earthly levels of only what your eyes can see, and what your natural ears can hear. – 2Corinthians 4:18
John 3:31 says,
“He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.”
You operate outside “the foolishness of preaching” as a minister of the gospel, when you base your sermons, preaching or teaching on the hearing of the ears and the things your eyes see in the physical.
Of Jesus, Isaiah said,
“…and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes,
neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
But with righteousness shall he judge…”
– Isaiah 11:3
* Ministry is operating with spiritual laws, not manmade doctrines, human philosophies or traditional sense; mixing the pure incorruptible and never judgmental “the word of faith which we preach” with the wisdom of this world. No!
* Ministry is preaching “Christ crucified” (that is, his death,his burial, his resurrection and his ascension to the right hand of the Father,and the riches and blessings of it for all of humanity – not just the believer – 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.)
“But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.”
* Ministry is operating beyond your human/mental abilities or secular knowledge in your preaching of the gospel of Christ (that is, the gospel which is about Christ – God that became man)…
It has to be by revelation (that is, insight into divine realities, the realities of what happened from the cross to the throne).
Paul said in Galatians 1:16 that Christ was first revealed in him before he could preach him…
“But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen…”
God does not require less of you Pastor, apostle, prophet/prophetess, evangelist, teacher, Bishop or Archbishop.
So, 2 Corinthians 4: 1-2 says,
“Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not; But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.”
Now that you know better, you will do better!
Please endeavor to read and meditate on the scripture references – for deeper and personal understanding. Peace and blessings, in Jesus name!
(Culled from my book: The Foolishness of Preaching ).